style

ania styles: winter sweaters + summer skirts

skirt: old zara – similar here and here

turtleneck: old madewell – similar here and here

booties: jonak

this st. louis weather is so all over the place. last weekend i went on a run at 6 am (i know, miracle from above that that happened) and it was muggy and warm.

then it was ice raining three days later for the whole weekend.

and tomorrow it’s going to be 60 degrees again.

it makes me miss the warm, but crisp, days of fall. i love those months of hot summer that just eaaaaase into fall. as much as i try to convince myself otherwise to be trendy and all about the cold like every other blogger right now, i love the sun. so when i see a day about 50 on the forecast, i instantly google the first day of spring and get so excited for warmth. (ps it’s march 20th, if you were also wondering.)

A N Y W A Y S. yeesh. i can get so off-track when i talk about the weather! what a thrilling life. 23 going on 83, as i say.

i wanted to share some style changes i have been making to deal with the temperature changes. when it’s this weird 45ish degrees and it’s not necessarily cold but you also don’t want to look like spring starts tomorrow, it’s an awkward balancing act. so i thought i could pair some skirts i have that can look a bit more winter-y and voila – style is born!

right as fall was ending, my friend sonya took these gorg shots (the photographs, not me #imnotthatvain) in forest park for this style post and when i realized this weekend that i never posted them, i freaaaaked.

could i still post them, i thought. i mean, fall is OBVIOUSLY done. but then it struck me: this outfit can work for fall into winter (which is what i had planned for) but also on the other end out of winter!

this turtleneck was a steal at the end of last winter at madewell. this time of the year is both the best and the worst for shopping. it’s the best because if you find something you like on sale, it’s most likely ridiculously marked down. buuuuut the new arrivals are kind of all over the place so walking into stores feels super uninspiring. there’s nothing much because they don’t really want more winter apparel with spring on its’ heels.

(how many times will i talk about spring in this post? tbd.)

so if you are feeling it, head to stores like madewell, free people, anthropologie and j crew every so often over the next six weeks and you might score a great gem. even though 70% of the time you’ll stomp out annoyed, the other 30% of the time you’ll find something like this black turtleneck that i wear prooooobably once a week. or a good home item tucked away in anthro like this one panel of a window drape i’ll have to show you all soon. or the floral finials i bought for EIGHT FREAKING DOLLARS that i found on the bottom shelf at anthro. they don’t fit my cheap ikea bar but i kept them because someday when i have nice drapes, they’ll fit and it’ll be glorious and i am already excited for that moment.

ANYWAYS.

at some point soon, there will be a post with my winter go-to’s. a black turtleneck like this one is very high on that list. it’s so versatile. i have tucked it into skirts, worn it with corduroy, slipped it under a jean or leather jacket, tucked it into high waisted jeans, worn it with dressy work pants and basically a trillion other combinations. if you showed me one that fit like this and it was cashmere, i’d probably buy it because of how frequently i wear this one.

also i wear so much black in the winter. SO much.

why?

1. i am not tan and it makes me not look as pale.

2. you will always look classy and put together in all black. literally always. even in workout clothes for pete’s sake.

3. it’s suuuuper flattering to wear a bloutfit (#coinedthat) at the time of the year when i am most likely working out the least.;)

paired with this zara a-line skirt i bought abroad and tights with black booties, it’s simple and does the trick. i can easily transition from work (although this skirt is a touch short for work but i have a couple that are longer that i have swapped out for it!) to dinner or drinks with a friend.

i love wearing skirts and dresses when it’s warm so i am always game to try and get some into my routine during the winter. it’s been on my list to buy 1-2 winter dresses but i haven’t had ANY luck! let me know if you spot something and i’ll be sure to try it out.

as always, thanks for reading! hopefully i inspired you to pair something you can’t wait to wear in spring with a wintery counterpart. we do what we can until those tulips come shooting up!

xo,

ae

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *